seek peace, practice liberality, pursue wisdom

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

something new and different

Something that I was thinking about this morning:
I believe, based solely on my observations on fellow human beings, that how we ACT (ie, communicate with people, body language, clothing choices, and essentially the aura that the individual creates) is an exact mirror or how that individual LEARNS.
An example, myself. I am a visual learner. And on reflection, I observe that I am also a visual communicator. I speak through my specific clothing choices, pictures, paintings, performance. I speak through images, as well as think in images. It makes complete, logical sense that how I think is also the way in which I communicate with others, since I can understand and relate in a visual way with ease, over audio or hands on learning/communicating skills, with which I am less inclined.
Another example, John. Chatty Kathy is a colloquialism for “talkers”, of which category John belongs to. He can speak about anything, and very thoroughly and congenially. I venture to assume that John is an auditory learner. Words and speech come naturally from his mouth, and thus they should also come naturally into his mind. It seems that if he can converse so well, and on a range of limitless topics, that he responds well in a learning environment in which auditory teaching is chiefly used.
Gloria, a student of ours, on the other hand, is silent nearly all the time. She is not gifted with speech, nor through visual communications. I believe that Gloria does her best work when she I allowed to use her hands. To support this, I have observed that when Cass takes Gloria to the white board to demonstrate a math equation, and has Gloria also put dry erase marker to white board, that she will pick up the theorem quicker.
Of course, some individuals have several ways of learning, and thus I believe many ways of communicating with people. Those particular individuals would make the best teachers, because of their ability to reach out in each way to meet all learning patterns of their students. The best curriculum cycles through each learning method, so as to ensure the complete understanding of all.
My findings are inconclusive, but my theory is so far evidentiary enough to continue my research. If my supposition is correct, I believe I have found a new way of assessing and assisting in the classroom and in society. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment